Stained Glass in Offaly Churches
Church of Ireland Churches
A database of information about stained glass in Church of Ireland churches throughout Ireland has been compiled by David Lawrence, commissioned by the Representative Church Body with funding from the Heritage Council. All of the Church of Ireland churches in Offaly have been surveyed. The information is available from www.gloine.ie
Roman Catholic Churches
The Offaly Historical and Archaeological Society, with support from Offaly County Council and the Heritage Council, commissioned David Lawrence to examine a number of Roman Catholic Church stained glass windows during 2009. The churches are in Tullamore, Edenderry, Clara, Birr, St Brendan's and the County Library, and Tubber. Download the Offaly Stained Glass in 6 Catholic Churches by David Lawrence Report (34 MB). Printed copies of this report can be borrowed from the Offaly Library Service.
Harry Clarke and Clarke Studio Windows in Offaly
The website www.harryclarke.net is recommended for information on Harry Clarke and the Studios. Offaly Library Services has the following books and DVDs on loan
- The Life and Work of Harry Clarke - by Nicola Gordon Bowe 1984. This is useful showing many of his drawings as well as windows.
- Strangest Genius - by Lucy Costigan and Michael Cullen, 2010. This documents the entire stained glass collection of Harry Clarke (not his studios) world wide.
- Lumen Christi - by Laurence Walsh OCSO, 2009. This looks at all of the stained glass windows in Mount St Joseph Abbey and has chapters on the studio windows from 1931, 1941 and 1961. It also features the Stations of the Cross made by the Harry Clarke Studios.
- Harry Clarke, Darkness in Light, 2003, a DVD by John J Doherty with many interviews.
- Stained Glass Windows, Six Roman Catholic Churches by David Lawrence, 2010
There are a number of Harry Clarke and Clarke Studios windows in Offaly.
- Tullamore - Church of the Assumption. These windows were originally located in Rathfarnham Castle and were donated to the church by the Jesuit Community. There are five windows in the south transept depicting St Brendan, St Patrick, St Benignus, St Peter and St Paul. Three windows in the north transept depict the Sacred Heart, St Joseph and Our Lady. A window in the east transept shows St Ignatius of Loyola and is the work of Harry Clarke. The lower panel depicting The Good Shepherd is the work of Hubert McGoldrick. Directly opposite is another window depicting the conversion of St Paul in the top panel and St Peter in the lower panel. See comments from David Lawrence.
- Lis Church (now a private residence). The two windows are from 1929 and 1932 called 'Music and Literature'.
- St Manchan's Church, Boher - 5, 1931 windows with a striking one of St Manchan, his cow and the shrine.
- St Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Pollagh - There are a pair of Harry Clarke studio windows of the Virgin Mary and the Sacred Heart from 1936.
- Mount St Joseph Abbey- An interesting site with windows from 1931, 1941, 1961. The first set are in the Former Infirmary Oratory, the second in the Collage chapel and the third is St Patrick in the Abbey Church.
- Killina Convent Chapel, near Rahan. There are two late Studio windows from 1967, Our Lady and the Resurrection.
The Windows at Mount St Joseph Abbey
View slide show of images of Stained Glass windows at Mount St Joseph Abbey
Lumen Christi - by Laurence Walsh OCSO, 2009. This looks at all of the stained glass windows in Mount St Joseph Abbey and has chapters on the studio windows from 1931, 1941 and 1961. It also features the Stations of the Cross made by the Harry Clarke Studios.
The Care of Stained Glass
The Care of Stained Glass was written on behalf of the Heritage Council by David Lawrence.