Repair & Leasing Scheme
A key component of the Rebuilding Ireland Action Plan for Housing and Homelessness is a new scheme, the Vacant Housing Repair and Leasing Scheme, which targets the delivery of social housing and also ensures that existing housing stock is used to the maximum degree possible. Offaly County Council are progressing the scheme along with Department of Housing Planning Community and Local Government.
The basis of the scheme is that repair and improvement works to suitable vacant properties are funded to bring them up to the standard for rented accommodation and the cost of the works is then deducted from lease payments over an agreed lease term.
There are a number of requirements in relation to the scheme:
- The property has to be vacant
- There has to be a social housing demand for the property
- The property has to be assessed as being viable to provide accommodation
- The minimum lease term is 10 years and is preferably 20 years
- The lease payments are based on the current market rental rates in the property location, less 20% to cover vacant periods and administration/management
- The scope and cost of the works, and the recoupment of the works cost through the lease payments, are agreed between the owner and Offaly County Council
- The initiative is not available for private renting
Property inspections are carried out by Offaly County Council staff that will identify the works required to bring the dwelling to the required standard. Please contact Offaly County Council for further details or complete and return an enquiry form, available below.
Click here to download Application Form: Repair & Leasing Scheme Application Form (RLS).docx (size 80.3 KB)
Click here to view FAQ's: FAQ's Repair & Leasing Scheme (RLS).pdf (size 480.3 KB)