Skip to main content

Motor Tax – Commercial Vehicle

The Motor Tax Rates for Goods Vehicles are based on the unladen weight of the vehicle.  

To tax a vehicle as a goods vehicle for the first time, you will need:

1. Application Form RF100 if the vehicle is new or imported – this form will be available from the motor dealer if the vehicle is new or, from the NCT Centre if the vehicle is imported. 

  • OR Application Form  RF111 if the vehicle has been converted to a goods vehicle and a Declaration of Conversion Form etc. must be enclosed – see the information on converting a vehicle here
  • Or Application Form RF100A for motor tax renewal i.e. if it currently taxed at this class .

2. A Weight Docket from an Authorised Weighbridge if the unladen weight is not shown on the RF100 Form or has changed since registration.   A Weigh Master Certificate should also be provided from the Authorised Weighbridge.

3. Goods Only Declaration Form for vehicles under 3,500 kg – and documentary proofs.   This needs to be stamped and signed by the Gardaí.

4. Proof of Commercial Status e.g. Revenue / VAT details on company headed paper, Herd Number etc.

5. Appropriate fee

To renew motor tax on your goods vehicle, you will need:

1. Completed Renewal Form  RF100A or Reminder Renewal Form RF100B 

2. Appropriate fee

To renew motor tax after a change in ownership of a goods vehicle, you will need:

1. Change of Ownership Form RF200 (English) fully completed by seller and buyer for vehicles first registered prior to 1/1/1993 OR Vehicle Registration Certificate fully completed by seller and buyer for vehicles registered after 1/1/1993

2. Change of Particulars Form  RF111 (English)if any of the vehicle particulars have been changed by the new owner.  If the vehicle has a separate trailer, a weight docket will be required – the vehicle should be weighed with the heaviest trailer with which it will be used.

3. Renewal Form  RF100A (English) fully completed with insurance and renewal payment details

4. Goods Only Declaration Form for vehicles under 3,500 kgs – and documentary proofs. 

5. Appropriate Fee


To qualify for taxing a vehicle at the goods rate, a vehicle must be used solely in the course of the owner’s business or trade, and not used at any time for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.  The owner must complete a Goods Only Declaration Form at a Garda Station to confirm this:

• at first taxing of a new light goods vehicle

• after change of ownership of a light goods vehicle

• at any renewal of motor tax at the discretion of the Motor Tax Office

The following Current documentary proofs must be submitted:

a) If you are a farmer

Please submit any Current letter or Current document you have received from the Department of Agriculture over the last year clearly showing your Herd Number and you as the Herd Owner. This must be dated within the last 6 months.

Note: persons who state any other animal or poultry-related trade or business must prove this is a business activity rather than a hobby, therefore, the requirements listed at b) underneath apply. 

b)  If you are otherwise self-employed, a Sole Trader or Company

Please submit any Current letter or Current document you have received from the Revenue Commissioners over the last year clearly showing your trade or business is registered for tax purposes, i.e.

  • New businesses who have not yet submitted returns to Revenue Commissioners;-  please submit notice of Current registration for Income Tax or VAT – For all other ongoing businesses;-  please submit correspondence regarding your Self-Assessment or VAT returns or

If your vehicle is registered in your Limited Company Name, you may submit a printed copy of your current eTax Clearance Certificate for the Company. 

c) If you are an employee

A current letter from your employer on their official headed paper confirming:

  • The nature of their trade or business and the goods you are carrying
  • That you are required to carry these goods in your vehicle (registration number to be stated on letter) in the course of your employment by them

A sample letter template is available from Offaly Motor Tax Office if required.


There is no longer a requirement for an owner to present their current Pass Statement or Certificate of Roadworthiness to the Motor Tax Office as vehicle testing details are updated by the Road Safety Authority.  Under vehicle testing regulations, a goods vehicle (EU categories N for motor vehicles or O for trailers) is a vehicle constructed or adapted primarily for the carrying of goods or burden of any description, whether or not it is used for such a purpose, therefore, all goods vehicles must complete an annual roadworthiness test in a Commercial Vehicle Test Centre, regardless of how the vehicle is taxed. This includes vehicles such as car vans and 4×4 vehicles converted for goods use.  For more information on commercial vehicle testing, please contact the Commercial Vehicle Testing Section of the Road Safety Authority at 091 872600, or at


As motor tax rates for goods vehicles are based on unladen weight, this must be confirmed on a Weight Docket which must issue from an Authorised Weighbridge appointed for this purpose by a local authority.  A Weight Docket is required upon the first taxing of a vehicle, after any alterations to the vehicle, or may be requested at any time at the discretion of the Motor Tax Office.  The Authorised Weighbridges in Offaly County are:

Weighbridge Operator & Telephone

The Motor Taxation office will accept printed weight dockets from any of the below weighbridges for motor taxation purposes.

Weight dockets from other counties must be from a weigh bridge approved by the local Motor Taxation Office

Hand written weight dockets are not acceptable at any time.

Approved Weighbridges in Co.Offaly
1Offaly County CouncilBallydrohid, Rahan Road, Tullamore, Co Offaly057 9346800
2Offaly County CouncilDerryclure Landfill Site, Killeigh Road, Co Offaly057 9344186
3GlanbiaSpollenstown, Tullamore, Co Offaly 057 9341310
4Bord Na MonaDerrinlough, Birr, Co Offaly 057 9133057

 Note:   when weighing an articulated unit for the first time, or after each change of ownership, it must be weighed with the heaviest trailer it is likely to draw during the taxing period.