Nutrition is the fifth priority area of work for Healthy Ireland. The Healthy Offaly work plan provides for the delivery of a range of healthy eating supports via partner agencies.
Activities delivered across Offaly to date include: -
In 2017, the Department approved €10,000 in funding to support the delivery of a range of healthy eating supports in Edenderry including: -
- the establishment of a community garden
- food tasting sessions; and
- healthy eating workshops
The project was supported by the Acorn Project in Edenderry.
In 2018, the Department approved €9,150 in funding to support the delivery of "grow your own" healthy eating supports including: -
- two community gardens - Bracknagh in north Offaly and Moneygall in south Offaly. Check out the Moneygall community garden here
- social farming for four men experiencing mental health difficulties and intellectual disability in Birr
- expansion of “Meals on Wheels” in Offaly with a focus on training supports and the establishment of additional meals on wheels providers in south and west Offaly