Mental health is the second priority area of work for Healthy Ireland. The Healthy Offaly work plan provides for the delivery of a range of mental health supports via partner agencies such as local sports partnerships, national governing bodies of sport and other local partners.
Activities delivered across Offaly to date include: -
In 2017, the Department approved funding to support the delivery of a range of mental health supports including: -
- mental health supports in the community - with the support of the HSE, the “little things” campaign was delivered across four communities
- PAX good behaviour programme (€2,000) - delivered with the support of th Laois / Offaly Childrens and Young Persons Services Committee, three PAX course coordinators were trained to oversee the delivery of PAX in the midland counties (Laois, Longford, Offaly and Westmeath); while 16 “in-school” mentors were trained to support teachers delivering PAX; and 40 teachers were trained in the implementation of PAX within their primary school classrooms
- Triple P parenting supports (€8,000) - with the support of the Midlands Area Parenting Partnership, 13 Triple P practitioners were trained to deliver Triple P teen workshops. 23 workshops for 175 participants were delivered across the four midland counties. Three of these workshops were delivered in Offaly for nine of 18 registered participants
In 2018, the Department approved funding to support the delivery of a range of mental health supports including: -
- mental health supports (€6,400) - with the support of the Offaly Local Development Company, two programmes (mental health first aid and "minding your mental well being") were delivered for over 100 people. "Minding your mental well being" is a one day HSE training programme designed to support people to care for their own mental well being and to promote positive mental health at home, at work and in their community; while mental health first aid trains people within the community to support those that may be experiencing mental health difficulties until such a time as they can seek professional help.
- social prescribing (€8,450) - with the support of the social prescribing coordinator in the Offaly Local Development Company, a range of social prescribing supports were delivered for over 100 people. "Social prescribing" is a holistic and collaborative approach to health and well being which supports individuals who feel isolated, stressed, anxious or depressed to access community based activities and supports such as exercise classes, social groups, creative activities, volunteering opportunities, information on employment services and educational courses
- Triple P parenting supports (€6,050) - in conjunction with funding secured from the Department of Children and Youth Affairs; and with the support of the Midlands Area Parenting Partnership, the Fearless programme (reducing anxiety in children and teenagers) was delivered for 140 parents of children experiencing anxiety