Offaly at the heart of Ireland, welcomes the visitor to vast tracts of wilderness, expanses of bogland, esker hills and rivers including the majestic Shannon River which defines its western boundary and the gently rolling hills of the Slieve Bloom Mountains which rise up in the east. Offaly’s hidden gems are:
- Clonmacnoise, a world class monastic gem, is home to three high crosses, a cathedral, seven churches and two round towers.
- Birr Castle, Gardens and Science Centre where you can check out the epic Treehouse Adventure Area.
- Tullamore D.E.W. Visitor Centre where you can begin a journey of discovery, through almost two centuries of the distillery’s history.
- Lough Boora Discovery Park transformed from its previous incarnation as a commercial bog, today it is home to countless species of birds and wildlife and a permanent exhibition of huge outdoor sculptures.
- Slieve Bloom Mountains, where you’ll find trails to suit every ability; from the experienced hiker to the casual stroller.
- River Shannon, where you can start your riverside adventure in Banagher and cruise on one of the finest natural inland waterways in Europe.
Check out www.visitoffaly.ie for more information on all that Offaly - Ireland's Hidden Gem has to offer.
Tullamore is the county town of Offaly and has plenty to offer tourists. Check out this useful guide to the town for tourists here