Tips for Waste Management on the farm


Waste TypePrevention TipWaste Management – Other Information
Aerosol CansCan the product be bought in different type of packaging?Treat as hazardous waste.  Aerosol cans are often classified as hazardous waste & should only be given to a hazardous waste collector
Asbestos, including asbestos sheeting Asbestos should only be removed by permitted waste contractors for treatment at a licensed facility
BatteriesWhere possible use rechargeable batteries.Batteries are a Hazardous Waste
Cardboard (boxes, cores from twine reels etc)Ask your supplier to use returnable packaging: reuse for storageRecyclable – clean, dry cardboard can be recycled.  Store in a dry area to facilitate recycling.  Contaminated should be sent to landfill
ChemicalsOnly buy what you need.  Beware of hazardous content.  Operate a good stock control, do not allow chemicals to go out of date.Chemicals should be treated as hazardous waste and should only be removed by a licensed contractor.
Electrical Goods, AppliancesRepair where possibleWEEE legislation requires suppliers of electrical equipment to offer a take back scheme or inform you of alternatives available. 
End of Life Vehicles (ELV’s) Some parts are recycled and car is depolluted.  Only give ELVs to authorised facility where you will receive a Certificate of Destruction.
Fertiliser BagsUsing less fertiliser means you will have less plastic bags to dispose ofLook out for collection scheme organised by waste contractors and government approved schemes.
Fluorescent bulbsEnsure you install long life light bulbs – at least 10,000 hoursTreat as hazardous waste. 
GlassStorage ContainersRecyclable at bottle banks
Latex GlovesCan reusable gloves be used?If contaminated in any way gloves should be landfilled
PaintsOnly buy what you need.  Beware of solvent content – ensure paints comply with Deco paint regulationsPaints containing solvents should be treated as hazardous waste and collected by permitted contractors
PaperOnly use what you need.  Can it be reused?Collection available from waste contractors
PlasticCan you buy in bulk?Plastic recycling is a complex area.  Only recycle plastics that have the following lobels PET, PE, HDPE, LDPE which are typically plastic bottles and plastic film. 
Plastic DrumsCan the product be bought in bulk to minimise packaging or can you use less of the product e.g. pesticides?Ask your supplier about take back schemes.  Disposal is dependent on what has been in the drum.  Was it hazardous?  If yes please refer to notes on hazardous waste
Plastic Film WrapCarefully store part used rolls from year to year to ensure you can utilise them.  Set a target of 8 bales per hectare of high quality grass.  If using silage pit, reuse plastic sheeting.

Collections are organised by government approved recovery schemes.

IFFPG (01) 4089966

LoCall 1890 300 4444

Tyres5 tyres per m2 of silage storage area is recommended amount needed.  Do not exceed this.  Use same tyres every yearNew tyre legislation requires farmers to register with local authority if they exceed recommended amount of tyres per m2 of silage storage area.
Veterinary WasteOnly use medicine as requiredTreat as hazardous waste.  Ask vet to take back vet waste such as needles, medicines, syringes.  Vets are required to do this.  Ask about takeback scheme for unused medicines.
Waste OilsImplement maintenance programme on all machines.  Only change oils as per manufacturers recommendations. Waste oils can be reused as low grade lubricant