Veterinary Services provide a statutory, advisory and administrative role relating to matters of veterinary public health and responsible animal ownership & management. Veterinary Services is also responsible for carrying out functions in relation to food protection and the implementation of the terms and conditions of the Service Contract between the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) and Offaly County Council.
The Veterinary Services team deals with the following issues:
- Food Safety and the welfare of animals prior to slaughter in abattoirs
- Offaly County Council administers the Control of Dogs Act. Midland Animal Care operate the dog control service on behalf of Offaly County Council. Midland Animal Care employs 1 full time Dog Warden. The Dog pounds is located at Cappincur, Tullamore, Co. Offaly.
- Offaly County Council administers the Control of Horses Act
In general Offaly County Council is concerned with the welfare of all animals and will take any reports of abuse of animal welfare very seriously. The Veterinary Officer of Offaly County Council liaises on an ongoing basis with the Garda Síochána, Department of Agriculture veterinary staff & the ISPCA.
Veterinary Services - Useful Links
- Statistics on Stray Dog Population in Ireland & Operation of Pounds:
- Meat Plants approved by Local Authorities:
Cappincur, Tullamore, County Offaly