Offaly Civil Defence is a volunteer based organization that supports the front line emergency services as well as assisting local communities. Offaly members join through Offaly County Council and the Civil Defence Branch of the Department of Defence manages and develops Civil Defence nationally as it provides training, policy direction and administrative support.
Civil Defence Training:
• Civil Defence members attend classes in various disciplines during the training period (usually September to May).
• Members are instructed in various life saving skills at these classes such as:
• Flood Response + Portable Pump Drills
• Radio Communications
• Urban Search and Rescue ( USAR )
• First-Aid classes teach people the basic skills of diagnosing and treating a variety of injuries and conditions including,
• Maintaining an airway - to ensure the person can breathe,
• Control of bleeding,
• Support and care of broken bones,
• Treatment for Stroke, Heart Attack
• CPR. C.F.R. OFA. EFR. Training Courses.
Rescue (USAR )
• This includes,
• Search Organization + Search Management for missing persons.
• Map Reading, GPS Training
Auxiliary Fire Service
• During this class students learn,
• Classification of Fires
• Basic Fire-fighting,
• Use of Fire Fighting Equipment Eg: Hoses, pumps, ladders, ( To assist at Flooding )
• This involves many skills including,
• Care of refugees
• Hygienic preparation of Food
• Emergency Accommodation Procedures
• This class teaches volunteers the proper use of Radios for use on Civil Defence Duties, Exercises and for Emergencies
How do I join?
• Please contact
• Fergal Conroy. Civil Defence Officer, Central Fire Station, Sragh, Tullamore,Offaly.
Phone No : (057) 9315133
Website : Irish Civil Defence Web Site
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media: www.facebook.com/OffalyCivilDefence