News and Events
Offaly County Council – Offaly Heritage Plan Key Actions for 2017 – 2021
This is the fourth Heritage Plan for county Offaly which guides the work of the Offaly Heritage Forum and Heritage Office. This plan has been adopted at the March 2017 meeting of Offaly County Council.
Eight Action Areas for 2017 -2021
- Offaly County Council Heritage related projects such as 1916/2016 Centenary Commemorations and the follow on programme Creative Ireland; management of key county sites such as Durrow and Clonmacnoise, public realm plans and ongoing projects as they arise.
- Partnering with local communities and societies working on heritage projects, ranging from the Tidy Towns network to Historical Societies.
- Heritage and Tourism – making sites accessible and improving signage and information including inputs to www.visitoffaly.ie
- Developing a County Archive Service in partnership with Offaly History, the Library Service and private owners.
- Medieval churches/Monastic Site conservation of the structures, management plans and access (these sites are predominantly in Offaly County Council ownership)
- Publications – commissioning of and assisting with publications, specifically Offaly Castles and demesne landscapes which are currently in preparation.
- Biodiversity - promotion of the All Ireland Pollinator Plan, submitting records to the National Biodiversity Data Centre and control of invasive species with particular focus on Japanese and Himalayan knotweed and Himalayan Balsam.
- Access to heritage - coordinating and management of events such as Heritage Week, Offaly Naturalists’ Field Club, Annual Offaly Heritage Seminar and awareness of Offaly’s heritage through all appropriate means.
Role of the Offaly Heritage Forum - The forum is made up of Council, community, NGO and state agency representatives that meet quarterly. Members have given huge commitment to the forum and in delivering heritage projects. The forum has had a key role in providing members with an opportunity to discuss what their group or agency are working on, their restraints and opportunities and it has done much to assist with interagency working relations. This forum is brought together and co-ordinated by the Heritage Office. Joint community/agency projects have proven to be an efficient and cost effective way to work.
Programming and Events
Events and news updates are posted onto the Offaly Heritage facebook page and emailed out to all those on the email list. If you would like to be included on this email list please contact us at email@example.com
Offaly Naturalists' Field Club Programme
Offaly has an active field club which offers a range of events throughout the year. Download the Offaly Naturalists' Field Club programme for 2020. With Covid 19 restrictions all programming has ceased from March 2020 until further notice.
Wildflowers of Offaly youtube series with John Feehan
In lieu of field club programming, we are regularly posting John Feehan youtube video clips about wildflowers in Offaly on the Offaly Heritage YouTube channel - please subscribe to this channel for updates.
Creative Ireland - Culture and Creativity in Offaly
Creative Ireland is the Government's Legacy Programme for Ireland 2016 - a multi annual initiative from 2017-22 which places creativity at the centre of public policy. The aim is to bring an enhanced level of coordination, focus and leadership to existing policies and initiatives across all sectors. The Offaly Culture and Creativity Plan for 2018-22 was adopted at the December 2017 meeting of Offaly County Council. For more information on the National Programme see https://www.creativeireland.gov.ie/en