Offaly County Council is dedicated to improving the living standards of tenants in private rented housing. This is done, in accordance with Government Regulations, through the inspection of private rented properties. However, if a tenant is experiencing an issue in their property, they should always report it to the landlord in the first instance. Tenants experiencing problems can request a minimum standards inspections by email to email@example.com The Council will endeavour to ensure timely inspections on foot of complaints received and for keeping the complainant apprised of both the outcome and action(s) to be taken at each stage of the process.
The main objective of the Housing Standards Regulations is to establish minimum standards in order to protect the health and wellbeing of tenants and to make private rented houses safe and fit for habitation.
Landlords are legally obliged to ensure that their private rented houses (which include a house, flat or an apartment) are maintained in good condition and repair and comply with the Regulations. Landlords failing to comply with their legal obligations in private rented houses are liable to be prosecuted, and on conviction, may be subject to a fine or imprisonment or both.
The following are covered in detail under the housing standards legislation and the technical guide document:
- Structural Condition
- Sanitary Facilities
- Heating Facilities
- Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry
- Fire Safety
- Electricity and Gas
- Dealing with Complaints
A Prohibition Notice is served when the housing authority is of the opinion that a landlord has failed to comply with an Improvement Notice served on them.
- The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government : - www.housing.gov.ie
- Residential Tenancies Board - www.rtb.ie
- Threshold - National Housing Organisation - www.threshold.ie
- Guide to Minimum Standards in Rental Accommodation November 2021, click here
- S.I. No. 137/2019 - Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019, click here
- Home Ventilation Leaflet, click here