Polling for the Local Elections 2019 will take place on Friday, 24th May 2019.
The hours of polling are 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.
The closing date for the Supplement to the Register is Tuesday 7th May 2019.
The closing date for the Supplement to the Postal and Special Voters List is Saturday, 27th April 2019.
Register of Electors
In order to be able to vote at an election, an elector must be entered on the Register of Electors for the locality in which the electors ordinarily reside. For further information in relation to the Register please click on Register of Electors Website www.checktheregister.ie
Offaly Local Electoral Areas and Municipal Districts
An election is held in respect of each Local Electoral Area for the number of members of the local authority assigned thereto. Elections will be conducted on the basis of the areas set out in the 2019 Ministerial orders which implement the recommendations of the Local Electoral Area Boundary Committee Report, 2018.
County Offaly has three Local Electoral Areas and the numbers to be elected for each such area is as follows:-
Local Electoral Area
Number of Members
-Local Electoral Area Boundaries 2019: Birr
-Local Electoral Area Boundaries 2019: Edenderry
-Local Electoral Area Boundaries 2019: Tullamore.
The Returning Officer for County Offaly is:
Ms. Ann Dillon
Offaly County Council
Áras an Chontae,
For further information please contact (057) 9346800 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guidelines for National Agents and Designated Persons of Political Parties and Third Parties on the Disclosure of Election Expenditure, Spending Limits and Political Donation Accounts at the Local Elections on 24th May 2019, published by Offaly County Council 2019. Guidelines for Agents on Disclosure of Spending.pdf (size 4.6 MB)
Receipt of Nominations:
The period for receipt of nominations commences at 10 a.m. on Saturday, 27th April, 2019 and ends at 12 noon on Saturday, 4th May, 2019.
Eligibility for Election to Local Authority:
(a) Every Irish citizen and every person ordinarily resident in the State, who has reached the age of 18, who is not subject to any of the disqualifications outlined in paragraph (b) below, is eligible for election;
(b) A person is disqualified for election to a local authority if he/she –
- is a member of the Commissioner of the European Communities, or
- is a member of the European Parliament, or
- is a Judge, Advocate General or Registrar of the Court of Justice of the European Communities, or
- is a member of the Court of Auditors of the European Communities, or
- is a member of Dáil Éireann or Seanad Éireann, or
- is appointed under the Constitution as a Judge or as the Controller and Auditor General, or
- is a member of the Garda Síochána, or
- is a whole-time member of the Defence Forces, or
- is a civil servant who is not by the terms of his or her employment expressly permitted to be a member of a local authority, or
- is a person employed by a local authority and is not the holder of a class, description or grade of employment designated by order under section 161(1)(b) of the Local Government Act 2001, or
- is a person employed by the Health Service Executive and is a grade or of a description of employment designated by order of the Minister for Health and Children, or
- is undergoing a sentence of imprisonment for any term exceeding 6 months imposed by a court of competent jurisdiction in the State, or
- fails to pay any sum or any portion of any sum charged or surcharged by an auditor of the accounts of any local authority upon or against that person, or
- fails to comply with a final judgement, order or decree of a court of competent jurisdiction, for payment of money due to a local authority, or
- is convicted or, or has had a conviction confirmed on appeal for, an offence relating to fraudulent or dishonest dealings affecting a local authority or corrupt practice or acting when disqualified.
(Local Government Act 2001, as amended – sections 13 and 13A)
For further information on the nomination process, please refer to the Nomination Paper LE1