Can I consult with the Area Planner before lodging my application

If unsure of any aspect of applying for permission, obligations with regard to making an application, local planning policies for the area, considerations affecting site etc., it is advisable to consult with the planning authority.  This is generally known as a pre-planning consultation.

In order to consult with a planner, there must be an interest in the site and intention to make a planning application.

To assist the pre-planning consultation process, the following documentation and information should be emailed to in advance of planning consultations, if required:

  • An outline of the site in red and the landholding in blue on a location map to a scale of not less than 1:1000 in built up areas and 1:2500 in all other areas, or such other scale as may be agreed with the planning authority before the meeting.
  • Details of site size
  • Photographs of the site
  • Site Layout map showing existing buildings, roads, boundaries, septic tanks, percolation area, wells and other features on, adjoining or in the vicinity of the land or structure.
  • Details of proposal.
  • Rough design of the proposed development.
  • Details of connection to area, particularly if applying to build a house in a rural area.

The role of the planning officer in pre-planning consultations is to inform of procedures involved in making an application, relevant policies, objectives and legislation only.  Any advice is given in good faith and without prejudice to the formal consideration of any subsequent planning application.   Formal consideration of a planning application when lodged to the Planning Authority will be more extensive having full regard to legal issues, technical reports, third party submissions and other details that require consideration.  No indication will be given at planning consultation stage of the outcome of any application as it lies outside the remit of the planning official’s authority.

In accordance with Section 43 of the Planning & Development (Amendment) Act 2018, Pre-planning consultation with Offaly County Council is now required for residential development (consisting of more than 10 houses) and non-residential development (with more than 1,000 sq. metres gross floor space).

Generally many pre-planning consultations or queries can be dealt with over the telephone or by e-mail.  All requests for Pre-Planning meetings should be emailed directly to