1. Public Mains
From 27th July 2017 Irish Water is your contact point for all water and waste water connections.
Public Water Schemes (PWS) in County Offaly are:
Tullamore North PWS
Tullamore South & Clonaslee PWS
Clara / Ferbane PWS
Shinrone / Brosna PWS
Walsh Island PWS
Offaly County Council continues to deal with the following water services related activities:
2. Rural Water / Group Water Schemes
Offaly County Council administers subsidies for the following
Group Water Schemes (GWS) in County Offaly:
Ballyfore/ Ballykilleen GWS
For connection to any of the above Group Water Schemes please contact the Individual scheme directly.
3. Individual Well Grant
Please note that this scheme does not apply to houses to which a Public Water Supply or a Group Water Scheme has already been provided or can reasonably be provided.
If there is no access to a Public Water Supply or a Group Water Scheme you may apply for a grant to bore / source your own well.
The objective of the grant scheme is to assist households dependent on private individual water supplies who are incurring capital expenditure to:
- provide a piped supply of water for domestic purposes, or
- remedy serious deficiencies in an existing supply of water for domestic purposes
A person is eligible for a grant if he/she is:
- providing a piped supply of water to an existing house for the first time
- carrying out improvements to a seriously deficient existing piped supply of water to a house, where the supply of water concerned is from an existing well.
A person is not eligible for a grant if, in the opinion of the Local Authority:
- The house concerned is not occupied by the applicant as his/her normal place of residence (e.g a holiday home)
- The house is at present connected or could be connected to a Public Water Supply or a Group Water Scheme.
- A grant for the provision or improvement of a water supply has been paid in the past 7 years.
Works qualify under the scheme where they are undertaken to provide or improve a supply of water for domestic purposes in a house and they consist of one or more of the following:
- Drilling or commissioning a new well
- Rehabilitating an existing well, including deepening or relining an existing bore or the removal of silt
- The provision of facilities or equipment for the treatment of water
Works do not qualify if, in the opinion of the Local Authority:
- They have an approved cost of less than €634.86
- The proposed works would exceed what would be required to secure an adequate supply for domestic purposes
- They are carried out before the Local Authority’s prior inspection
The Local Authority will carry out a prior inspection to:
- Determine eligibility and whether the proposed works qualify
- Establish, in the case where the application relates to the improvement of an existing supply, whether the supply is seriously deficient
Amount of the grant:
The amount of the grant will be:
- €2031.58, whichever is the lesser
Please see attached:
Should you have any queries please contact the Water Services Department in Offaly County Council on (057)93 57416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org