My Open Library (MOL) allows access to the library outside of staffed times, between 08.00 – 22.00 daily.
During My Open Library hours you can : Borrow & Return items, Print, Photocopy, use our PC’s, access our Free Wifi and use our study space.
In order to become a MOL member, you will need to complete an induction for that branch, see terms and conditions below. There are no staff present during My Open Library Hours.
Offaly Libraries My Open Library Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of Library members and staff. It also ensures a welcoming environment for reading, learning, and enjoyment of other library services and for the preservation and protection of library materials, equipment and facilities.
Emergency procedures and contact numbers will be outlined during induction and are available in the MOL brochure of the branch. Issues that may occur during MOL hours should be recorded by email to the MOL Library or by phone / in person during staffed hours.
CCTV is in operation in all library premises on a 24/7 basis.
Our premises have a secure communication facility connected to our on-call security company.
Our on-call security company is available via phone and intercom to attend on site if necessary on a 24/7 basis.
Terms and conditions
- Members must be 16 years or over.
- Members aged 16 and 17 must have parental consent to become a My Open Library member.
- Parents/Guardians must also be a My Open Library member.
- Members must have a current valid library account. Membership is annual.
- Members must use their own library card only.
- Members must not allow others to use their library card.
- Members must not keep their library card and PIN together. If a library card is lost or stolen, please inform the library as soon as possible.
- It is the responsibility of each member to ensure that they do not allow or facilitate access to the library of any other person. The only exceptions to this are noted in terms 11, 15 and 20.
- Each member must scan their card and enter their PIN on every occasion they enter the library and cannot enter while accompanying another member without scanning their own card.
- It is the responsibility of each ‘My Open Library Member’ on entering the library to wait beside the external door until it is closed. If you are concerned that someone will follow you into the library during My Open Library you should not enter.
- Only Parents/Guardians/Carers may bring children under 16 into the library during MOL hours and must be present at all times.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for ensuring the safety and wellbeing of their children. Children must not be left unattended in the library.
- When coming to the library as a family, both parents need to be members and must scan their library cards separately.
- Parents or Guardians or Carers are responsible for the behaviour of children or people in their care and for ensuring they follow the terms and conditions of this policy.
- If an instance occurs that a member is left alone with an unattended child, they must remain in view of CCTV cameras and contact An Garda Síochána.
- It is necessary that any infringements or concerns regarding child protection breaches are reported to An Garda Síochána, Where there is an immediate concern contact TUSLA (www.tusla.ie) or the HSE (www.hse.ie).
- When registering for My Open Library, members will receive an induction from library staff describing the layout, how to use various self-service options and the safety operations of the library during unstaffed hours.
- Members may use the My Open Library service in other branches of Offaly County Council where available, provided they have undertaken that location’s Health and Safety induction with library staff.
- Members must attend inductions for each library they use.
- In the case of a medical emergency, members are to phone an ambulance [112 from mobile phone]. Members should allow emergency services into the library.
- All incidents occurring in MOL hours should be recorded by email to the MOL Library or by phone / in person during staffed hours.
- Members must bring a mobile phone with them during MOL hours and ensure it has sufficient battery power.
- Members must understand and adhere to the emergency evacuation procedures for the library during MOL hours, including Fire Drills.
- When leaving the building please be aware that re-entry is dependent on the occupancy of the building.
- Do not place cables, bags, laptops, leads or any items where they may cause a trip hazard.
- Food is prohibited in the library during My Open Library hours. However, members are permitted to bring their own bottles of water to consume.
- Animals are not permitted on the premises with the exception of guide dogs.
- It is advised that headphones/noise reduction devices are not used during My Open Library hours.
- Offaly County Council reserves the right to suspend the service temporarily due to technical issues and/or on health and safety grounds etc.
- Unacceptable behaviour, includes but is not limited to:
-The use of threatening or abusive behaviour towards customers or staff.
-Partaking in any illegal activity (including false alarms to emergency services).
-Damaging library property.
-Entering areas of the library marked Staff Only.
-Non-compliance with health and safety procedures and fire drills.
-Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
-Non compliance with the Copyright Act 2000.
-Using tobacco products including electronic cigarettes.
-Removing materials from the library without first checking them out.
-Leaving your belongings unattended in the library.
-Being in the library for purposes other than using library services.
-Deactivating self-service equipment.
-Photography, filming or recording, without permission
- My Open Library members must abide by Offaly Libraries Customer Code of Conduct.
- Management cannot be held responsible for the loss or damage , however caused, to personal property in the library.
My Open Library members in breach of these terms and conditions will have their access to the My Open Library Service suspended.
The agreed periods of suspension are:
1st Occurrence 2 month suspension
2nd Occurrence 6 month suspension
3rd Occurrence 1 year suspension
Users may, at the discretion of the County Librarian, be permanently suspended from the service for serious breaches of the terms and conditions.
Members in breach of terms and conditions will be informed of this breach by phone call, followed by aletter/email advising them of the breach incurred and the date from which this suspension will be enforced. Members have 14 days to appeal the suspension.
The appeal should be in writing/email (email@example.com) for the attention of the County Librarian, Offaly County Library Service, O’Connor Square, Tullamore, Co. Offaly, R35 X226.